tabs in the catalog

Working on the catalog display in Innovative (III) today and making these notes to myself.

I originally used the May 2007 set downloaded from III, with some modifications I picked up at IUG, for the version I brought out in August 2007.

The campus standard HAD been to accomodate 800×600 displays, and I didn’t want people using those to go from the campus pages to the library pages and find themselves suddenly running off the side of the screen with the catalog.

Since we are now no longer restricted to the 800×600 display (with the wide margins left and right), I’m reconfiguring the pages for 98% width (just a 1% margin on each side — I think it looks neater and less crowded than 100% across the page) of the screen in 1025×768 resolution.

That leaves a lot of stuff sort of weighing down the left side. All the tabs, for example, start on the left, and don’t go very far across in many cases.

So, I decided I needed to change the width of the tabs to spread them out a bit. The catch is, the tabs normally on mainmenu.html, for example, are using the div class “mainActiveTab” with “menuActiveTab” and InactiveTab, and those have only one size.

However, the div class “helpActiveTab” has “helpActiveTabMedium” and “Large” and seem to work just as well, so I’m replacing “main/menu” with “help” div classes. (It’s easier than adding to the CSS for “main/menu”.)

Then I changed the size to all medium tabs. Spreads further across and balances the look better, IMHO.

I’ve also taken the frame with the Quick Links and moved it over to the far right 20% of the page, and reset the percentages to 80% search and 20% Quick Links frame, now that I have the additional room. More balanced, again.

Tests okay.