Crisis averted

Innovative’s Millennium system allows us to link media, such as graphics and video and audio, to records.  The graphics can be linked so they appear on the catalog page in our OPAC.  That’s the basis for our honor and memorial bookplates, among other media.

At the time I set that up, in order to insure a good, solid URL, we linked to our Millennium server using libcat.uafortsmith.edu/screens/ instead of simply /screens/ .

And now, we’ve changed the domain, to libcat.uafs.edu, and I.T. is planning to shut off the re-direct (in library terms, the cross-reference) from uafortsmith.edu to uafs.edu.

Working on a donation, I noticed the problem, and tried manually changing the 962 field which contains the links in that one record.  Millennium balked and announced an error.

Uh-oh.  We have 3951 links like that.  Do we have to go in and change them all one by one?

Fortunately, the Global Update function did make a successful change.  I tested one record using Global Update to change the domain from uafortsmith to uafs, and the link still worked, and the graphic for the bookplate still functioned properly in the OPAC.  I then did the entire batch, and testing of samples indicates the links still work.

Of such suspenseful events is a cataloger’s life composed….

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: